Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Food Time: Strawberry Jam filled Madeleines

As you may know, I'm still have the  Parisian/French bug in me. All I think is about the Eiffel Tower, eating croissants and sipping on some coffee.

Seriously.

As you may know (again), that I'm a fan of the uberly cute Rachel Khoo. Of course I have her book. Of course I've seen the episode where she made Madeleines.



The recipe is easy to make. In the video above she uses fresh raspberries and lemon curd. Nom. I didn't have any of those two in hand, so I opted to use my favorite jam (again, my Airbnb host got me addicted to this!) from France, Bonne Maman.


And this Preserve is delicious. Not too sweet with a little tang. Yum. I ate some this morning over toast and chocolate butter. Yes, chocolate butter... all the way from Wisconsin. Double yum.

The sweet Evani, as part of the hellobox, sent me a Madeleine pan. I was sooo happy. Funny thing was the day prior receiving her package, I bought one pan myself. And I used both today and honestly, Evani's was way better. The madeleines just slided off the pan!

The pan from Evani :) 


I was sooo happy on how it turned out. And as Rachel said, it's wayyy better to eat it straight out of the oven. It's sooo soft, the hint of lemon from the cookie smells so good, especially with the strawberry jam combined.

You can fill it with pretty much anything you want (Nutella?) or have them covered or dipped in chocolate ganache. Oh my.

Strawberry Jam Madeleines
you get about 22 - 24 madeleines
adapted from Rachel Khoo, The Little Paris Kitchen

  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup of Sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup of full fat milk
  • 13 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
  • Jam for filling or if you prefer to dip them in chocolate :)
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
Whisk/Beat eggs and sugar until pale and frothy. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Mix honey and milk into the cooled butter then whisk in to the eggs. With a spatula, fold in the flour-mix in 2 batches. Covered with saran wrap and let it rest in the fridge. I did for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven at 375F. Get your Madeleine pan and butter and flour dust. Spoon about 1 tbsp into each hole. Then spoon about 1/2 tsp of your filling in the middle of the madeleine batter. Don't overfill. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn off your oven and let rest for a minute or so. Then turn oven on to 325F and bake for another 5 minutes. 

Remove from oven and transfer those luscious cookies on to a cooling rack. Once cool, dust them with powdered sugar and eat with a cup of tea :) Mmm Earl Grey Tea.



I love Vanilla. So probably next time I'll add like a teaspoon of Vanilla Extract. Ooooooooo... Or maybe substitute 1/3 cup of sugar with Lavender Vanilla Sugar... OOOOOOOOOOO. It's on, people.

Head on to your kitchen and make these yummy treat :)

floured face,
Rima

5 comments:

  1. ohhhh lavender vanilla sugar... DO IT! Mmmm I haven't made madeleines in forever... I might have to whip out my pans. Thanks for the inspiration Rima! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had madeleines. I must try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! GIRLLL I'LL MAKE YOU SOME :)

      Delete
  3. Omgggg I want some in my mouth right nowwwww. These look amazing Rima, you really are a baking extraordinaire my friend.

    ReplyDelete