Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Love Weddings...

Ethnic weddings, that is.

You've seen movies like My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Monsoon Wedding, right? (I haven't).

Anyways I had a similar wedding to go to over the weekend. A Middle Eastern Wedding. And boy it was fun. And, I didn't consume any alcohol *pats back* (it was a strict Muslim wedding party with no open bar. Luckily, Le Groom provided a CashBar outside of the reception room for those boozers out there. I was just being cheap).

I'm used to going to ethnic weddings (read: INDONESIAN) so the whole delay of start time, the amount of guests invited, seeing kids running around the stage... does not surprise me. What's fun was seeing how my friends, who are mainly White, reacted to the whole situation.

One friend said, "Damn, we don't have this at a Western Party!!!" And he was referring to this...


or to be clear...

You don't really see a groom being carried on to the front on the shoulder, surrounded by ALL of the MALE GUESTS, complete with drums... dancing in circles, whole holding hands... for like 10 minutes...


Pretty entertaining I say.

Not only that, I was served with a BIG ASS bowl of Hummus. My party table was happy. We kept on begging for more pita breads.


This was my reaction...


 And of course when they served the food, I was in Arabic heaven (a little 411 about me: I have some Arabic blood in me. Thanks great-G-Ma.)


So anyways, I told my friend that I want to go to more ethnic weddings. I said, "I want to go to a legit Mexican wedding, complete with a Banda band... An Indian wedding... and another Asian wedding..." Then she looked at me and said, "Uh, why don't YOU have an ethnic wedding?" I told her, "Uh yeah... but it has to be on a separate day because it's super long. And boring because they speak in tribal language" (me no habla tribal).

A little snap shot of a typical Bataknese wedding (where both of our parents are mainly from)...

credit: Sigit Darmawan
Where the families from both sides have to bring food and "exchange" the food to each other. Yes, it involves a whole cow slaughtered and cooked and brought to the wedding (all body parts are present. Gah).

via
Where a party of 500 is just normal...


Where we both have to wear traditional attire...

Oh and mind you... almost EVERYONE in the family (both parties) are involved in the preparation of this traditional wedding.

Lord help me.

Hence why I'm kinda hesitant to plan a wedding. Me with pushy family members? Oh we don't go so well.

Anyways... I love ETHNIC weddings. Those Arabic/Palestinian girls from the wedding were soooo pretty. The little Arabic in me was doing belly dancing (in her mind) as the music was playing.

Have you ever been to an Ethnic wedding?


Congrats to Kased and Ahd!

moonbeams,
Rima

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been to an ethnic wedding but my best friend is Persian and her family parties are CRACKIN. Seriously, they have the best time, they all get dressed up fancy and dance at a normal weekend family get toegther. Its amazing. Have an ethnic weddinggggg, do itttttttt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an amazing experience this must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect!!!!!!!!!!! nothing else to say.... thanks for share..Wedding photographer ocean county

    ReplyDelete