Monday, July 22, 2013

Lot's of Blurriness.

Why? I blame the Green Fairy... Ur... the Phone... Uh... The Absinthe?

This past weekend was my co-workers 40th Birthday (oh hay). Her husband works for the Edison Company (you know... The light company) and he decided to do some celebrating for his loving wife at (what do you know...) The Edison in DTLA.

When I heard about it, I told Ms. Bday Girl, "OH HAAAAAY GIRRRLLLLL... HOOK ME UP I'M SO THERE."

As you may not know, I'm a huge 20s fan. When I heard about The Edison about 5 years ago (beginning stage of The Pillow and I) and I heard that Absinthe is legal in the state of California (the little drunkie in me rejoiced), I told my BFF and Pillow that I MUST GO TO THE EDISON. Why?
  1. They were one of the first bar/lounge that served Absinthe at the time.
  2. The lounge is in the basement of the old Higgins Building, which was LA's first power plant.
  3. The have live jazz bands AND burlesque shows.
  4. It was home to my favorite live Cirque, Lucent Dossier, at the time.

This photo was taken in Dec 2008 by LA Times. Yes, we made it to the website. Haha.

Anyways, the bday celebration was great. I got to enjoy some crafty cocktails there. One of the favorites was called "The Mistress". It was delicious. Super easy to drink (derp. It has Vodka, Pomegranate Juice and splash of Prosecco. What's not to like?)


My night was not complete until I have some Absinthe. They had 2 shots, one mixed with Hibiscus and Jasmine and one with Pineapple and something. I can't remember. I had too much beverage when I asked the Green Fairy.



Can you tell the effects of our friend Alky has kicked in already?

Of course we had something to eat. The Pillow ordered some Salmon Sashimi that was fresh. Super fresh. The avocado, fuji apples and red onion really complimented the fish. YUM.


Then we walked around the venue to kill the buzz (particularly for me since I was driving back). I seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE the set-up. Very rustic, old, sorta creepy with a Steampunk vibe to it. Classy yet not Ashy. Of course while staring at some awesome chicks dancing on stage (they come out every 30 minutes I believe)...








Dress code is strictly enforced. Lots of people dress up to the era but it's not recommend but I highly recommended because it's fun. I didn't really dress up to the era because we were in the hurry to get high on Indo food.


This is called Batagor, consisted of deep fried tofu, deep friend fish paste and deep fried beef balls, smothered with soy sauce, Sriracha and Peanut Sauce... Complete with Teh Kotak (meaning "Boxed Tea").

Anyways, if you're in town in LA, I recommend the Edison. It is pricey to reserve a table ($50/person!) but you can just simply walk in ($10 cover charge) and enjoy some fine fancy cocktails, enjoy some people watching and some fun burlesque show!

The Edison
108 W. 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA.
(213) 613-0000

Just click on the website. You can feel the vibe already!

paper moons,
Rima

3 comments:

  1. looks so fun. i want to see a burlesque show too. in bali there's one place in Seminyak called bali joe. it's a gay bar and they have performance.

    oh my god! ada teh kotak juga di sana mbak? ahahaha. dan batagor. suka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try that place with Ron! It looks fun!

    Jan Loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh this place looks like sooo much fun! I love burlesque! I've gone to a few shows in Williamsburg and they never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete