Wednesday, August 6, 2014

#bolugoestobrazil: I'm on Top of the World

Cue that Imagine Dragon song... (or Carpenters if you're old school like me)...


This was the time in Brazil that I felt near to death. 
Not because of the possible of getting mobbed. Or getting ran over by hardcore Argentinean fans. Or by being too sexy (jk).
It was all from this damn freaking hike I did. I couldn't breath. I was so out of shape. I felt like an asthmatic, I was pretty much wheezing and out of breath, I had to pause a lot and actually hating myself big time for doing this hike. I'm not a big outdoorsy person in the first place.

Anyways, Rob's friends from OC was in Rio too for the World Cup and invited us to do this hike tour at a nearby hill/mountain. They sent some instagram pictures of the view, and I was like, "Yeah sure. Sign us up." I looked to Rob and said, "I think I can do it. It's an easy hike, right?" So off to Morro Dois Irmaos (means two brother hills) we went. We met up with our tour group at a Sheraton in Leblon. After a small introduction & briefing ("The hike is pretty easy"), we had a little walk to the beginning of the favela, Vidigal. We took a VW Combi van thru out the favela and stop at the entrance of the trail. I swallow my saliva. Gulp.
my "before-i-die" smile.

I was dead wrong. I really wanted to die. DIE DIE DIE. My legs were super sore, they were like jello on the way down. I had to stop multiple time, kinda slowing down the tour. There were 6 of us plus our tour guide, Mo. Rob felt bad, but being the good boy he is, he waited for me and helped me with my bratty rants, "F***, why did I sign up for this? WTF". Good thing there was only one way up & one way down, so no chance of getting lost. We saw people walking down and they say the view up the mountain was worth it. Kinda gave me a boost... a little. Mr. Mo said there are 3 break stops on the way to the top for pictures and such. 

Stop number one: The view of Favela Vidigal. Impressive. I can't believe these people live in these stacks of houses on the foothills of Morro Dois Irmaos.
 They look like toys from above! Legos!
I forgot the name of this mountain, but this is where people paraglide in Rio! 
You can see Christ the Redeemer from here. Hi Jesus!

After another intense hike thru the mini "forest", we made it to the second stop, and I just had to take a breather. At least the view wasn't too bad...
Effin' tired.

At the third stop, I really wanted to give up. My right calf was cramping up really bad. I didn't even have the mood to take pictures. I was tired, exhausted, the humidity was making me mad, and my water that I have was sparkling. WHO DRINKS SPARKLING WATER WHEN YOU'RE PANTING FOR AIR? It burns! But I didn't want to make a fool out of myself or embarrassed Rob, I man up and freakin' went for it. When I was at the top, I was in awe. Literally that Imagine Dragon song automatically played in my head.

The peak of Morro Dois Irmaos overlooks Ipanema, Cobacabana, pretty much the whole city of Rio De Janeiro. It was breathtaking. Amazing. My mind was totally off of my sore legs. The breeze was incredible, it felt really good.
(via)

Yup, that circle was where we were. That view was amazing. We spent like 45 minutes there, just enjoying the view. Then after that precious time, we headed down. It was rough. There were some steep pathways, so lots of squatting down and balancing were done. *groan* After we got back down to the top of the village/beginning of trail, we walked down towards town thru the Favela. 

I noticed when I was in Brazil, the Brazilians really do love graffiti. From the weird ones to pretty ones. Setarra would love Brazil. Seriously.

Of course the next 5 days in Brazil, I had a hard time walking, let alone sitting down to pee or tie my shoes. The struggle was super real. Rob had to help me get up multiple times... He was LOLing hard. #damn.

Despite that crazy hike, the view of awesomeness really paid off the fatigue I experienced. Apparently this is literally a new hike, even a lot of Brazilians don't really know about this trail. Super cool. If you ever get a chance to visit, I do recommend hiking up the peak of Morro Dois Irmaos. You won't regret it. I thought I regret it at the time, but now I am glad that I did it!

xoxo,
Rima

PS: Tour was done thru Trilha Dois Irmaos. I do recommend them! And ask for Mohammed (he is Turkish, speaks 8 languages, and is awesome). *i am not affiliated with them. i am recommending them!*

1 comment:

  1. LOL I was cracking up through this post because I could totally hear myself doing the same thing. Hikes aren't my typical weekend activity so I'm 100% sure I would've been worse off than you on this trail. But proud of you for doing it and what a pretty view :)

    ReplyDelete