Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Food Time: Baked Penne with Turkey Bacon & Spinach



Yes! I have promised you with a recipe entry and so here it is. Today is my day off (gotta love any day off, right?) so after roaming around the gym trying to break a sweat, I decided I wanted to bake (what's new?) but this time something savory. I've made this before, but that was years ago and I didn't remember the ingredients. Good thing I remember I got this from Real Simple website long time ago, and with the power of the internet, I had the recipe in my hand. Liberating. 

I doubled the recipe, thinking I can use some leftovers, but ahoy, it made plenty for  a 1 week leftover. Hahaha. Good thing I have people at work who can use some food. Why not bring it. It's Nurse's Week. 

Baked Penne With Turkey Bacon & Spinach
adapted from Real Simple
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped. The more the merrier for me, because I am a garlic fan.
  • 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp of dried crushed chili pepper *optional* I love my pasta spicy.
  • 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
  • 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 24 ounces penne 
  • 8 slices of Turkey Bacon, cooked and chopped into small bits and pieces
  • 1 12 oz bag of ready to use Spinach
  • 16 ounces mozzarella, grated (about 4 cups)
  • 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan (about 1 ounce)
  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Get your baking dish, in my case I used 2 of my medium size Pyrex, and with that I still had some leftovers to place in ramekins. Set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion until fragrant and slight transparent. Then add the garlic, crushed chili peppers and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes.
  3. Cut up the whole tomatoes in the can with scissors or food processor. Add to the saucepan with the vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. You may add more salt/pepper to your taste.
  4. In the mean time, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Cook the penne for half the package directions’ recommended time. Why half? Because the penne will continue to cook while baking. 
  5. Add the spinach to the sauce and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the chopped bacons, stir. Add the drained pasta and toss to combine. 
  6. Fill up your baking dish half way with the pasta mix and sprinkle with 1-2 cups of the mozzarella. Top with the remaining pasta and sprinkle with the remaining cups mozzarella and Parmesan.
  7. Place the baking dish and bake until bubbling and beginning to brown (OMG THE SMELL WAS AMAZING), 15 to 20 minutes.
  8. Serve warm and pair it with your favorite (alcoholic) beverage.

Pre-baked
fresh out of the oven. OMG.

Afterwards, my kitchen was a hot mess, literally. I couldn't wait to eat them, so I ate some pre-baked ones and they were delish :) I can't wait for dinner to eat the baked ones. Call me a fatty. But, hey! I worked out today. I deserve an award. Haha.

If you do make these, let me know! I want feedbacks :)

moonbeams & bunny kisses,

Rima

8 comments:

  1. Oh my golly, that sounds divine. Hot mess and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks! people at work raved it. and even add hot sauce to them. yum.

      Delete
  2. This is definitely on my to-make list!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!

    Love,
    Evani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evani, thanks!!! Let me know how it goes :D

      Delete
  3. yummy!! looks delicious :D only without turkey =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm PRETTY SURE the recipe will be DIVINE if using real bacon... grease and all. NOMNOM.

      Delete
  4. This looks SO DELICIOUS! I need to stop looking at yummy food pictures at work! I am a vegetarian, so I am going to try this subbing it with veggue crumbles or something like that! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I look at food at work all the time :/ I totally recommend using the morningstar or boca ground "beef" and sauté them with the onion, garlic and chili peppers. Ooo... i want to try that! Thanks :)

      Delete