Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Food Time: Blue Velvet Cake with Strawberry & Cream Cheese Frosting


So I got lucky and had a 4 day weekend for Memorial Weekend. Pretty rare but awesome. After recuperating and relaxing with my love, Rob, after he left on Monday, I decided to bake. And this time I challenged myself to make a cake. Man, it's pretty different that cupcake. The frosting part was pretty difficult to me. Mind you, the recipe calls for 2 9" round cake. The first cake became weird and failed :( So I was left with only 1 9" round cake... Hence, a short cake. And I wasn't patient enough for the cake to cool down completely (I should've just let it cool then put it in the fridge) and I frosted it. It's hard to frost a soft cake! Damn! Haha... You learn from the first right?

As for the recipe, I follow the exact way that Sprinkle Bakes did hers. For the cupcakes, it bakes for 25 - 30 min, but for the cake, I baked it for about 35 - 40 minutes. Use your own judgement. Since I did no adjustments, you can click here for the recipe.

As for me, I had left over strawberries waiting to rot (hah), I decided to slice them and layered them in the cake with the frosting. It became a Red, White & Blue Cake! Perfect timing for Memorial Day.

Excuse my frosting technique. This is my first time so hence the blue crumbs in the frosting, haha. I'm really more for the taste versus the look. But of course, presentation is a biggie. I SHALL LEARN!


Red, White & Blue!

Shortie

I really need to take cake decor classes!


My friend, Marilyn, stopped by because I told her I had cake. I gave her 1/2 of the cake! Haha... Since no one at home is a big cake fan, I might kill this cake myself. The cake is so moist, it got me giddy. I used that Baking Strip that my friend, Gloria, recommended... and it did work! My cake baked evenly without the dome too! I highly recommend that thing!

Well at least I crossed another thing on my 12 things List this year. Yay.

moonbeams & bunny kisses,

3 comments:

  1. That looks sooo delicious!

    http://louise-amabilis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait...no real blueberries! :(
      maybe put some on top :)

      Delete
    2. I know! if only I had blueberries, i would put them in the mix! that would be delish!!

      Delete