Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Food Time: Easy Breakfast, Egg McMuffin style! (and a bonus recipe)


One of my favorite things to get in the morning from McDonald's: Egg McMuffin, with no Canadian Bacon.
One of my favorite things to get in the morning from Starbucks: Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon Egg Muffin.

Why not making it myself and it's cheaper, anyways? (cheaper? yes, because you buy the items in bulk, and if your break it down [which i don't want to do right now], you definitely save money).

So here's what you need...
  • a pan. this small pan I used is so handy because it shapes the eggs into a round one that fits perfectly on to the English Muffin. My brother got this, but I know they do sell it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
  • 1 English Muffin. I love Wheat, so I used the Orowheat Wheat English Muffin.
  • 1 Large Egg
  • Turkey Bacon. I only used 1 slice, but go ahead a make more if you want. I know there are Bacon lovers out there.
  • 1 slice of Cheddar Cheese.

Heat the cutey pan under low low heat. Since this pan was so small, it's critical to heat it low. One, you don't want flames coming out of the side of the pan and you may burn your hands. Two, the low heat creates the same amount of heat like when you heat up a regular medium size pan on medium heat. Trust me. 
First, I cook the bacon. I did not use any oil or butter for this, because the oil/fat will come out of the bacon and this will be the base for my egg. Pan fry the bacon until it looks crunchy. Or until to the point that you just want to screw this recipe and just munch on the bacon itself. YUM. Place the bacon on top of one of the muffin halves. 
Now, like I said, leave the fat/oil from the bacon in the mini pan, and crack open the egg. Let it cook until the whites are pretty firm, about 2-3 minutes, and then flip over, let it cook for another 2 minutes. I like my eggs to be well done, so if you want the yolk to be a little runny, then reduce 1 minute on each side. 


Place the egg on top of the bacon and add the slice of Cheddar Cheese on top. You may sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper on top of your egg before the cheese. If you have a toaster oven, go head and place each halves inside, add some butter on the lonely muffin half, and toast it for 3-5 minutes, depends on how crunchy or soft you want of your muffin. You may add any condiments you want after... Ketchup? Mustard? Thousand Island? er, Ranch? Sambal Botol? Go ahead!

I usually make this ahead of time, like the night before, because I work in the morning. As a nurse, I need to have a great breakfast, but I'm always on the run. Preparing this in the morning? No way. I rather sleep in. Haha. Even though this recipe does not take too much of my time, but I do love my sleep. Haha. After I make the bacon & eggs, I usually set it up like the above picture, place them inside of my toaster oven, and right before I go, I heat up the oven for about 4 minutes, take them out, and eat them in my car. Hence, I have crumbles of muffins in my seat. Haha.


So as I was making a sandwich, I saw some low-fat yogurt, fresh strawberries & blueberries & a box of crunchy almond granola hanging out, I decided to prepare a small bowl of parfait. You can never go wrong with a yummy bowl of parfait.


What I put in my favorite reusable container:
  • 1 layer of Low-Fat Yogurt, about 2-3 heaping tablespoons
  • a fistful of granola
  • a fistful of fresh blueberries
  • another layer of Low-Fat Yogurt, about 2-3 heaping tablespoons
  • 4-5 strawberries, cut into small pieces
  • another fistful of granola
I covered the container and place it in my fridge. Ah, a quick breakfast for the run!



Hope this helps for busy people like me. 

moonbeams and bunny kisses,
Rima


2 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love bacon!?!


    Minted Magazine


    mintedmag.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! I don't eat pork, so my love for Turkey Bacon is undeniable. Love super crispy bacon!

      Delete