Thursday, June 12, 2014

So this is a Travel Dilemma...

As the World Cup is approaching later on today (can't wait!), I'm stuck with a dilemma. 
Travel plans have been finalized, plane tickets booked, hotels are all set... except for one. 
I have one day alone in Sao Paolo. Actually a day and a half. Alone. All by myself. The Pillow has to fly out a day early to Switzerland, leaving poor little Rima stranded alone in Brazil. To be honest I let out a small panicked squeal when I heard about the change of plan. I need to find a place to stay for a night.

The dilemma is... Where should I stay?
A hotel? (read: a trust worthy, franchise, possible fancy hotel)
Rent a room through AirBnb?
Sleep with strangers in a Hostel?
Or, couchsurfing at a local's living room?

Let's weigh in the pros and cons.

Hotel
Pro: Safe. Free WiFi. Comfy bed. Guaranteed hot water showers. Swimming Pool. Room Service. View of the City. People that speak English. 
Level of Privacy: HIGH.
Cons: Expensive. Less personal experience for me, with a high chance of laziness to explore the city (possible due to fear)

AirBnb
Pros: Cheaper than a hotel. Most likely safe. Free WiFi. Get travel pointers from Hosts. Make friends with Hosts. Reasonable bed. 
Level of Privacy: MEDIUM
Cons: You're staying in someone's private residence. Possibility of sharing the bathroom. Possible language barrier. Possible mean Hosts turn Serial Killer.

Hostels
Pro: Cheaper than hotel/AirBnb. Meeting new people from all over the world. Getting travel pointers from longterm nomads. Free WiFi. Fun vibe. Most likely free breakfast. Guaranteed Unique Experience. Chances of Party: HIGH. 
Level of Privacy: LOW
Cons: Shared room. Shared bathroom. No room to freely fart. Possible noisy roommate. Stiff beds. Possible Curfew. No 24 hour Staff. Risk of Theft is high. 

Couchsurfing
Pro: FREE. Live with the locals. Getting great tips from the host (aka free tour guide). Guaranteed Unique Experience. New BFF for life in a new place.
Level of Privacy: LOW
Cons: Must try to fit in with host. Sleeping on couch. Must bring own towel (possible blanket). Language Barrier. Rather stay with a Female Host. 

It all comes down to my level of comfort.
Am I willing to step out of my comfort zone and stay at a hostel?
Am I willing to risk it all and stay for free on someone's couch?
Should I just pay a little bit yet still get a taste of the local environment by renting a room?
Or should I just splurge and pay a good sum of money for the sake of my own privacy & comfort?

Decisions... Decisions...

What would you do?

xo, Rima

2 comments:

  1. If it's just me I'd do a hotel or airbnb. If I were with someone else I MIGHT stay at a hostel, but still look for a more private hostel. The idea of couch surfing is nice since it's free, but that's too much extra work to do on a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not gonna lie, I'd do hotel. I try to convince myself that I'd do Air BnB without Rob but I honestly don't think I would. I have no idea what I'd do if things went south!

    ReplyDelete