Tuesday, April 15, 2014

So we've been here and there...

But have never been to Hawaii.
My coworkers were like, "Gurl, you and your Pillowman (esp him) have been ALL OVER THE PLACE. Yet, YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO HAWAII?"
Yes. Well, scratch that. I've been to Hawaii. In 1995. Honolulu. Airport only. So technically I've set my feet in Hawaii but just for a layover... that I don't even remember.

So The PillowMan surprised me with a trip to Maui for a birthday weekend getaway... which wasn't enough. 2 full days in Maui was actually not enough... especially when you had major GI issues during the trip (I contracted food poisoning the day before our trip. Womp womp). Enjoying the beautiful scenery of Maui with a bloated stomach was a challenge. I managed tho! #proudofself 
 We got to the hotel pretty late so I pretty much just crashed by the time I saw my comfy hotel bed. 
And woke up to the sounds of birds chirping and ocean waves crashing. Can't beat that.


So pretty much we spent a day doing nothing. Literally tanning, walking around, hitting the infinity pool, eat and shop. Oh of course enjoying the beautiful Hawaiian sunset.
Also our room faces the Luau. So hell yea... Bathroom within reach while enjoying the Luau. My main concern pretty much was, "I need a restroom to poop" (sorry, poop talk).
The next day I met up with an ex-coworker-turned-friend who is a Maui native (who decided to head back to the islands after graduating). He gave us some tips on our drive to Hana. We got a convertible (all you see in the roads of Maui are Convertible Mustangs and Jeeps) and of course had our hood down so I can get a tan (which I don't need). 
The road was very winding and crazy. Lots of narrow, one car bridges where you have to yield with the opposite traffic. Scary. On the way to Hana, we spot a garden called Garden of Eden. Breathtaking I say.
Then we passed by a Coconut Ice Creamery that was delicious! Served in a coconut!
Since our time was limited (plus I had the bubble guts), my Maui friend told us to hit the Black Sand Beach in Wai'anapanapa State Park. Gosh the view was amazing. They have this interesting cave that you can go into that ends with waves crashing in to it. The sand is literally black... little small black rocks.
 Then... this was interesting. Buddy Maui also mentioned about the Red Sand Beach in Kaihalulu Bay... which is a hidden beach, mainly known to the locals, but I believe lots of tourists are getting to know about it. It's a challenge to hike in to and back from... especially when you're having crazy gassy stomach and wearing Birkenstocks (uh that would be me). He also warned me that it's a nude beach as well... which of course, I caught a glimpse of Hippie Penis. There was a group of hippies... doing their MJ and strumming along their guitars while skinny dipping in the ocean. Must be liberating.
 
Then sadly, the last day arrived and my food poisoning was gone. Really? Why can't you be gone in the first place?!?!? I decided to wear my new Aloha shirt and show off my Spam Musubi.
 

So I'm super glad that Rob decided with Hawaii. I know he's been wanting to cross it off his list so it was a Win-Win situation. I needed a getaway/celebration & he just wanted to go somewhere new. Too bad the trip was short (and of course my stomach flu sucked), but we don't mind going back again. We could've extended the trip but apparently Rob had another surprise for me back home.

We headed back to California and stayed the night in Pasadena. He wanted me to wake up in my birth city on my 30th birthday *cue the awws*. And, he wanted to take me to the hospital that I was born at and do a mini-tour. He's too cute... and little evil... because he made me do this...
I was like, "Is there anybody behind me? Hurry up and take that picture!" Haha.
We walked around Old Town Pasadena, had Thai Food (yay) and just window shopping. He said he had a small birthday dinner for us at Flemings in Los Angeles. Never had Flemings before so I was excited! So to kill time (since we just ate), we drove around DTLA to enjoy the sunset and hit up the American Apparel HQ.
Then we headed to Flemings.
Then to find out... it was a surprise dinner with my sisters... and Adam-Bean. I was sooo happy.
Apparently Rob has been secretly texting them about this dinner! To see my sisters on my birthday was the icing on the cake... especially Adam. Super stoked!

Rob did a great job making my 30th awesome. I love you, Boo. I feel super blessed to have a loving man like him *cue the cheese*

My 20s was awesome. 30s would be better. I heard the 30s is the new 20s? We shall see :)

xoxo,
Rima

ps: next stop: Coachella Music Festival. Let my inner hippie blossom!

1 comment:

  1. Spam Musubi!!! I used to love that. I love that Rob took you back to the hospital you were born in. That'd be fun to do every year or 5/10 years.

    ReplyDelete