Saturday, January 28, 2012

Food Time: *Vegan* Strawberry Banana Bread


As you know, I went Vegan, and I'm trying to do it for the month of February (Monday - Friday; weekends, I'll try to be as Vegan/Vegetarian as possible, if situation allows!). So far I'm on my day 5, and yes, I cheated on my vegan self by eating brown rice & ikan teri (those little anchovies) that my mum made last week. They were so spicy, I almost cried. 


To counteract my decision, and being the crazy little baker, I decided to make a vegan sweet dish. After browsing around, I came up on to cakeduchess.com and decided to try her recipe. I did modified to what I have on hand, and the bread came out sooo soft and moist. Crumbly to the bones. Did not disappoint. Even my sister, Icha, who stopped by with her hubs, Vino (thanks for stopping by) loved it. Yay.


look at the strawberries!! yum!


Vegan Strawberry-Banana Bread

Adapted from Cakeduchess.com


1 cup of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 cup of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp sea salt
 
1/2 tsp baking soda
 
1 tsp baking powder
 
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3-4 very ripe)
 
1/2 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
 
1/2 cup soy milk
 or almond milk or coconut milk or hemp milk... any non-dairy milk!
1-2 tbsp of vanilla extract; I use Mexican Vanilla
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
 
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9 x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
 Seriously, it makes it easier to remove the bread from the pan! 

One lovely thing with this recipe is that you don't have to bust out your mixer. All you need is some medium bowls and a wooden spoon. Hey, an arm work-out!

Mash the bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl.
In another medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sea salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk. Let sit for a minute (you see it curdle up like buttermilk!), and then add it to the banana. 

Mix the brown sugar, vanilla & oil together then add them into the bananas and stir to mix. 
Add the bananas to the flour mixture, mix it with a wooden spoon until fully combined & moist (it might be lumpy from the banana).
Fold in the diced strawberries.

Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes and lower temperature to 325 F and bake for about another 25-30 minutes.
Let cool in pan for a bit and then pull the bread carefully out of loaf pan with the parchment paper.

Slice them, grab a dollop of Earth Balance Vegan Butter and enjoy. Nom nom. 




It pairs well with a glass of Soy Milk or your Cup O' Joe. Love.

moonbeams and bunny kisses,
Rima

3 comments:

  1. yum! i need to get my bake on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! do it, girl! this bread was not too sweet either. soft yet so perfect (droolz)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post.
    Feel free to surf my web-site diets that work

    ReplyDelete