Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Things I Love Monday, week 3

Sorry for being late 1 day...

This week has been a sad week due to a sudden, unexpected death of a close family friend (also a church member of mine). Kak Joyce, who was 38 at the time of death, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke on MLK day and was in a coma. She was on life support until her family decided to terminate it on Friday, Jan 20. She died peacefully surrounded by her son, sister, parents and loving church members in San Antonio Community Hospital at 5:05 PM. May God continue to watch over and bless her surviving family, and I know she's resting in peace. We will see her in the Second Coming. 

Working in the medical field, I am used to see and take care of patients who are in critical condition (matter of fact, I was in a case for a patient who suffered the EXACT same problem that Kak Joyce had, before I left my work to see her before the weaning of life support), but being in the other side was something else. It's very weird when someone you know is sick and is supported by medicine and machines to fight for their lives. *shivers*

In the other hand, my dad, who is close to Kak Joyce's dad, and being first elder of church, was pretty shaken by this tragedy. For the first time, in like ages, he gave me a hug before I left work and said to be careful and take good care of myself. That made my day. 

While I tried to distract my thoughts from the sadness, I made my first boozy cupcake, the Kahlua Chocolate Cupcake. I will post the recipe, someday, as this will be the cupcake of choice (per Ollie) that will be in the photo shoot. Hehe.

Church on Saturday was pretty gloomy since all of our members are still in shock and grief over our loss of Joyce. The Pillow translated for the Pastor, and it was a tough one, but he pulled it off (as always, like a pro!). We had a Yogurtland & Sushi Date, and also our snuggle nap time with my baby boy Chimmy. I swear, this dog becomes very spoiled when Rob's around. He wants to snuggle up like crazy around Rob.

Thugs of UNISDAC: Otin, my Bro, & TYJ, baby cousin
see how bratty Chimmy is?

after sushi, we decided to kick it at Denny's, but my sudden allergy attack kinda ruined the Denny's Date :(
my new reading material
Rob & I were inspired by this documentary "Pelada" that we watched after dinner via netflix, and we SOOO want to travel! It's a pretty great flick, especially if you are a Soccer fan like us!

On Sunday morning, on the way to Orange County, I had an epiphany (again) about my diet/health, and I decided, since I've done it before, to do a Vegan diet. I did Veganism a while back, during my early College years because I was trying to figure out about my Vitiligo. But I was only able to do it for 3 months (and I converted to Vegetarianism, then to Pesco-tarianism for the remaining 9 months) because money was tight and it is pretty expensive to do Vegan IF you want to do it right. I also did Vegetarian again for 1 year (and that was for political reasons... but converted to Pesco-tarianism) and I remember I felt pretty good during that year. 

With my weight acting like a yo-yo, I decided for the month of February, from Monday - Friday, to do a Vegan diet. I will try to be as Vegan/Vegetarian as possible on the weekends, but it depends on the situation (Church, going out with the Boyf, since he's NOT a Veg, nor ever will become of Veg [if he does, that's a miracle]). I will do it for a full month, and we will see how it goes. Definitely I hope to lose some pounds by eliminating all the dairy, eggs and meat products of my diet. *fingers cross*

So far today, I did had a Egg McMuffin (minus bacon) from McD's (shame!), but I had an amazing Vegan dish from Loving Hut in Upland (Lemongrass Soy Chicken with Brown Rice, downed with a delicious glass of Soy Thai Iced Tea) AND awesome Vegan Pizza from Z Pizza. Even my dad loved it! And I also baked some Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (success) while I failed making the Vegan Banana Bread because I forgot to put baking soda in it (super dumb!!!!!). So far I feel ok. I know I will probably go thru withdrawals, but I must hang in there. Especially I love hard-boiled eggs & cheese. Gagagagaga...

Well, this is my Call week at work :/ I hope this week goes by smooth.

moonbeams & bunny kisses (vegan style),
Rima

ps: my arm is sore. why? i got the typhoid shot. boo.


No comments:

Post a Comment