Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Food Time: French Macarons!!!!

Well well well... It's time again for Food Time. This time, it's the lovely yet pain in the ass French Macarons!

A co-worker requested this over the week, so since it was a 3 day weekend, I was like "haaaay letz do this!"

Girls (and dudes)... This pretty cookies are annoying(-ly awesome). My first batch was a big failure, only 12 shells out of 50 that were okay (recipe is from this book). I tried the Italian Meringue method and the batter came out way to watery because I believe I overmix during the Macaronage. Womp Womp. Piping the batter was hell because it kept on leaking thru my piping bag, also making the macaron circles waaay too big :( Then I had a problem with the baking temperature and time. For some reason, with this book's temperature and time, the macarons came out a tad bit burnt, or like it was heading there. Then, I don't know if it's because of the size of my macaron or my over-folding of the batter. Boo.


So for the first batch, it's Vanilla Bean Macaron with Dundee's Lemon Curd from the UK. I've never had Lemon Curd before, so it's pretty interesting to me. Sweet, a little tart with a tang to it. Sounds yummy on a toast and a cup of tea. Hmmm... At least these macs came out with Feet! Woo!

Being a the little perfectionist in me, I was so bummed with the first batch, I decided to make another batch (recipe is from this book). Talk about dedication. Now this batch came out waaaayyy better. I used the French Meringue method. I followed the author's techniques to the tee, but I still felt that the batter was too watery for me. So I'm not sure if I did over-fold during the Macaronage, I don't think I did, but who knows. These cookies are known to be Pretty Bitches aka temperamental.


For this one, I just add Pink Rose food coloring and it's still Vanilla Bean Macarons, this time with Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Jam from France. Yum. Not too sweet, has a little tang to it as well. I'm glad these came out way better than the first batch. I see the Feet!




At one point, I decided to mix the lemon curd with the blueberry jam!


Even Chimmy wants a piece but he ain't getting one!

Macarons ingredients are pretty basic: Almond Meal, Powdered/Confectioner Sugar, Granulated Sugar and Egg Whites. Then the method for the Meringue could be with heat (Italian) or without heat (French). Everyone has their own version of the recipe... Some add Cream of Tartar... Some add Powdered Egg Whites.

There's the mixing stage aka Macaronage. Followed by piping! Then there's the tapping aka banging (I like to bang!) of the cookie sheet on to the country to eliminate air bubbles. Then the resting aka drying period. Then the Temperature and Baking time. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. It's frustrating! One will say 375F... or 350F... or 300F... I don't know, people. I was literally pulling my hair.

Seriously, guys, it's totally a Trial and Error type of cookies to make.

I youtube'd macarons, and this cute one came out. She does the French Meringue technique. Doesn't she make it like it's super easy? I kid you not, this is my second and third attempt, and it may look easy. It is pretty easy. It's the macaronage part that's tricky.



Cool thing about macarons is that the color, flavor and fillings are endless.

Fun Fact: I was in the kitchen from 9AM to 5PM. Yes people. I was there for a whole banker shift! (and I did not complain at all. Guess I know where my heart it... Baking!)

I will try to make this again when I have the time. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of macarons, I like them because they just look so cute. They're just too sweet for me, and I believe is because of the amount of powdered sugar in the ingredients. I'm such a bread/cupcake girl. But I'm seriously thinking on taking a class on Macarons soon once I get back from Paris.

Wait... Maybe I should take a Macaron class in Paris... Nah. I signed up for Croissants. Croissants > Macarons anytime.

via parisvsnyc
Helene from Tartellete a little ebook on Macarons. Check it out!

Seriously, that quote "Practice makes Perfect" applies to Macarons!

Have any of you made these bad ones before?

moonbeams,
Rima

3 comments:

  1. They all look delicious! I wonder if there will be any baking classes we can take together while I'm there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my baking inspiration. I cannot be as ambitious as you, I get frustrated spending too much time in the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete