Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Say My Name (Link-Up): WTF is Bolu?



The Vintage Modern Wife: Say My Name Link Up

First off, I can't help but belt out "IF NO ONE IS AROUND YOU SAY BABY I LOVE YOU IF YOU AIN'T RUNNING GAAAY" after I read that button above. *does a ferosh twirl*

Anyways, Thanks to Yen, I found out about this link-up! Hosted by Steph, it's pretty much what's the backstory of your blog.

Wellllllllll... I've been "online journaling"since 2001 back in the Xanga days (oh yes). It was more like a private thing, you know... Hoping that your parents won't catch it and read about it (good thing at the time my folks weren't internet savvy...) Anyways... Since the social media world exploded a couple of years ago, esp with the birth of Instagram & Facebook & Tumblr, of course this little girl name Rima wants to be semi internet famous (just kidding). I started taking pictures of my baked goods, documenting my what nots and travels and gaining bragging rights with awesome things I've done and parading it on the social media.

Ok, parts of them are false true. Ok, the reason for Bolu was for me to have a medium where I can post about my baking trials and sharing my thoughts and rants about my life. I've been doing that for a couple of years now via Facebook on the "Notes" part. At the time it was more for sharing them with my friends & family.

Then some of my friends were like, "Why don't you start a legit blog?" or "Gurl, you bake all the time, why don't you just blog about it?" or "Oh I love reading your Things I Love Monday"... And because of that Bolu was born in November 2011.

Now the story behind the name Bolu. The actual name that I wanted to pick was Gula. Gula means sugar in Indonesian. My dream one day is to own a cafe/bakery and to name is Gula (this name popped up after talking with my sisters on a random car trip a couple of years ago). But then after doing some research, apparently there is a cake shop name Gula *sad trombone* Soooo... After twirling on some idea names around, Bolu came up. Bolu is an Indonesian work for Sponge Cake. You can actually read more about it here. A lot of people can't pronounce it and it makes me giggle. It's pronounced Bow-Loo.

So that's pretty much the story behind my blog. Woo.

xoxo, Rima

3 comments:

  1. I love this, I had no idea what Bolu meant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my xanga days and even though it refuses to let me sign in now, I can still view it publicly. When I read back, it's like WHO IS THIS?! Why do I talk like that?!

    Rima, wanna swap ad spots?? Also, I'm going to try and get the doughnut pans out to you this Friday or next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol oh xanga. I try not to think about those days, my writing was so poor. Haha

    ReplyDelete