Thursday, March 8, 2012

Charity!


In the spirit of giving (this year I vow to give more) I would like to invite you, my friends, to participate in making care kits. These care kits are made by people like us who want to help out other people in need.
These kits will be sent to Heart to Heart International, and they will distribute them to people who need these essential stuff.
CARE KIT CONTENTS:
  • One new hand towel
  • One new washcloth
  • One wide-tooth comb
  • One 15 oz. bottle of shampoo
  • One new individually wrapped toothbrush
  • One 4-6 oz. tube of toothpaste
  • One individually wrapped bath-size bar of soap
  • Ten (10) adhesive bandages
  • Two (2) one-gallon-size, zipper-seal plastic bags
That’s it. That’s all the kit consist. Expensive? Not at all. You can even go to the 99 cent store and still get change from a $20 bill for buying stuff for one kit. Rewarding? Yes indeed. 
If you are interested, contact me, or look up this link if you want to start your own & gather friends/family/co-workers to help out. There’s a pdf form that you can read up for further information.
I’m glad I bumped in to this organization from my Global Brigades group. I promised to myself to focus on this project once I get back from my Medical Mission trip. 
The #Kony2012 really got me going. You may support or not support, but at least you are being informed and are aware of the situation. I’m with the campaign for the kids and yes I did join the Tri group from Invisible Children. Cliché because I was moved by a fancy video? Maybe. But what got me was the kid Jacob. When he was talking about he rather die and stating that he has no future in this world, I told myself, “That’s it. I’m going to join.” And was sold. So yes, I am supporting Invisible Children thru monthly contribution. And yes, I did read some negative facts/criticism about the organization, but I don’t care. I don’t focus on the negatives, my mind is on the positive side, one way or another, that money, even though it maybe a fraction of it, is going for a good cause. Yeah, maybe more than 50% is going to the big honchos of the organization, but hey at least someone is doing the work to help. 
Also I’m doing a monthly contribution for Women for Women, where you can sponsor a woman, most like from nations that degrade women, or women who survived war, and help them to live. Currently I’m sponsoring a sister from Iran. Pretty dope. 
Last year I supported a little girl from Indonesia, my native country, thru Compassion, for a full year and even got a letter from her saying how grateful she was with my help. That meant a lot to me. I was so glad when I read that letter. 
So with these sudden awareness going on, if you are fortunate enough, why not help out people in need. If you can’t or not interested in helping internationally, why not help out locally? There are lots of shelters out there. I’m admiring my aunt who recently went down to Skid Row in LA and passed out clothes for the homeless. I believe her face and heart lighten up when she saw these unfortunate people receive “new” clothes for them to wear. Or, help out at an animal shelter. Anything. Anywhere. Church. Mosque. Big Brother Big Sister. American Red Cross. Peace Corps. There are TONS of places to help.
Trust me, you may not immediately see the changes, but you definitely know that you ARE making a change. Not only in that other person’s (or animal) life, but also yours. You get this instant gratification of satisfaction, humbleness, and I guess, happiness. It makes you want to pat the back of your own shoulder and say “atta girl/boy! you helped another living being.”
Give it a try. If one organization is not for you, you have to right to stop, and maybe look for another one. 
- Rima
currently supporting/had supported:

No comments:

Post a Comment