Thursday, June 20, 2013

Chocolate and Beer

Chocolate and Beer. I love both.

Chocolate Beer? I love that too.


I'm not a big fan of dark beer. Guinness? Blech. Good for baking. When my demanding Doctor at work, Dr. Sweet Tooth, asked me when will I bake again, I told him I'll make something with Chocolate Stout. Homeboy was happy.

So little ol' alcoholic me skipped her way into Total Wine & More. If you don't know what Total Wine is, it's like BevMo, but better (in my opinion). Their selections of imported beer, amazeballs. I believe if you're a Winer, you would love it too.

It's like Toys R Us... for adults. I was originally there for a co-worker who wanted me to pick up some Limited Edition Beer and I knew that I was gonna pick up some Chocolate Stout. So I came up with those two up there... Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and St. Peter's Cream Stout. Just reading the packaging I was drooling already. And of course I stacked up on some Lambics (I'm a huge Lambic Frambroise beer fan!)

After wasting 1 hour browsing, I bumped in to this bottle of awesomeness...


Oh my oh my oh my. I had my first taste of Absinthe at the Edison in Los Angeles. It was delicious. Even the servers were dressed as Green Fairies. This little bottle cost $9.99 (!!!), 55% Alcohol content, 110 Proof. I was like, "OH HAY". But, I did not buy. I will buy it one day. I want to learn how to drink it properly (you know, sugar cubez and all) [a lil 411: Absinthe was given to soldiers as a malaria treatment in the 1840s. As a nurse, I sorta approve. jk]

Anyways, after a long ass day at work, I still had the energy courage to bake. So I made Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. The difference was the beer of choice (I used St. Peter's Creamy Stout) and the baking time (18 - 19 minutes per muffin pan). 


Gosh, the smell was great. Beer and butter? Yum. The beer alone was delicious. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of dark beer, but this one was yummy. You taste the hint of chocolate and espresso. Hmmm... The bitterness was actually tolerable. 

Of course, I ended up baking buzzed.

Instead of using the ganache recipe, I used the Raspberry frosting that I learned from a recent baking class I took at Sur La Table. Being a rebel, I didn't follow as directed and the frosting came out soupy. Yet it tasted sooo good. Of course I didn't want it to go to waste.

Being a nurse, I inject people. Being a baker, I injected the frosting in to the cupcakes. Similar yet different. Fun, though.


See how soupy the frosting is? I ate it though. Screw my diet.

So next project would probably be Chocolate Stout Brownies. Dr. Sweet Tooth will probably be all giddy. 

xo,
Rima


2 comments:

  1. Must have chocolate beer cupcakes!!!

    I should be getting my food processor tomorrow (like two weeks early) and plan to make green tea cheesecake this weekend. Not sure what kind of crust though.

    Also, I've been thinking about maple bacon chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nomzzzz. I need to make a beer infused dessert this weekend for a birthday party so this was exactly what I needed! :) I need to check out Total Wine, you know what a vino I am...

    ReplyDelete