Tuesday, April 23, 2013

LDR

The Pillow and I live pretty far from each other. Even though we both live in SoCal and are within a doable driving distance (60+miles apart), I still consider it a long distance relationship. With work and school (for him) being in the way, we only see each other during the weekends... for most part. But now with him being a Traveling Engineer, our meetings become scarce yet we try it to make it sacred (hee hee).

via

This past weekend, we wanted to spend time together, especially with him arriving from Brazil earlier of the week & him leaving to Tokyo on Monday... To find out that he has to leave on Saturday to Shanghai before heading to Tokyo. Mind you, I haven't seen homeskillet for 3 weeks. Womp womp. The little bunny in me weeped.

via tumblr
So our 3 day weekend getaway became a less than 24 hour getaway. Despite being pretty bummed about the cut on our time, just seeing him for that brief moment was great. You don't know how much you miss someone until you see them in flesh. Yes we do facetime and such but it's different.

via

I seriously give props and lift my hat for those military couples and family who don't see their loved ones that often. Just even a 5 minutes conversation via Skype with her dad can make a little girl really happy. Those military reunion videos always get me.

LDR is no joke. But what it does to us is pretty useful. It trains us to trust each other. It teaches us on how to communicate better, to listen to each other and share our thoughts & feelings without judging. It shows that we're committed to each other and that we're in this together.


I believe LDR is not for everyone. It's a big challenge and it is hard to live with. I was once in a LDR back in high school. I moved to the States during my senior year, leaving behind my College boyfriend of 1.5 years. And boy that was hard. We were tested emotionally and it didn't work out. It felt like he gave up on us. He told me to let him go and live my new life in the States. It was hard. Back then, I thought LOVE can conquer everything, even distance. As I got older, it's not only Love that works in the relationship. Just like the picture above, Trust, Communication and Commitment with the addition of Love makes a great & strong relationship.

This is what trust, communication and commitment do to you. You make silly faces at a Bon Jovi concert

One thing I love about this LDR of mine & Pillow is that we cherish every single second we spend together. Even if it's for a whole weekend or even he's in town for 2 hours. While we're apart, I can do my own thing and he can do his without worrying like, "Oh who's he/she with? What is he/she doing now? Why hasn't he/she texted/called me?" The element of Trust is so huge in our relationship that we both don't worry too much. (We actually worry when we're go our separate ways when one of us visits the other and don't hear from the one that left, if either him or me arrive safely to our own destination. He texts me all the time when he's about to take off and right on when he touches down to his destination. Then I know that he's safe.)

LDR is hard, but I believe it's worth it in the end.

Have you been in a LDR? Any tips to share?

bunny kisses,
Rima


4 comments:

  1. I feel you on this mama. Charles is my weekend lover since we live 4 1/2 hours apart. We try to see each other twice a month but sometimes, we go almost 2 months without seeing each other. But it's true, our relationship is so much stronger because we're in a LDR. Thank goodness for Facetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a LDR before... And Rob came next. Haha my LDR didn't work and I know a lot of that had to do with our age (high school) and the fact I'm just too damn needy. If I had no choice but to do it with Rob, I would make it work but if you asked me before him if LDRs were for me, I would say hellz no. I needz my man. Hahaha so much for independent woman. I just know me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LDRs are sooooo hard, but totally worth it if its the right person! My hubby and I made one work for 6 years and we were hemispheres apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in an on and off LDR. For what feels like foreverrrr. For me, it's not too bad. Maybe I've sort of got used to him being gone. This deployment is my biggest test. When he went to Iraq, I moved home. Even before, I was home or surrounded by friends... this time around, I'm all by myself and I have to say, I've done swimmingly well.

    ReplyDelete