Thursday, September 27, 2012

So National Siblings Day is Not Today...

Sibling Disneyland Trip
But instead it's on April 10th. Instagram is going on a roll with hashtag nationalsiblingsday.

BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN I CAN'T TALK ABOUT MY BROTHER, RIGHT?

I have one brother, who's younger by 3 years & 8 months, name Austin.

Toba Lake, Sumatra, Indonesia, circa 1988

Aww look at cranky pants. He was one of the favorites in the Maternal Family because: One, look at those chubby cheeks. Two, he's very talented, musically (he got the musical talent from Maternal G-Ma. Give him a song, he'll listen to it once or twice, and BAM, he can play that sucker on the piano. He self thought himself the guitar, bass, & harmonica, and some other shit). Three, he's pretty funny since diaperhood. My G-Ma always tells funny stories of him when he was around 2-3 and when he gets mad, he'll go to my G-Pa's underwear drawer and get all of the underwear out, put it around his neck and stomp around the house, protesting. Then when he's done, he'll go back to the room and fold everything back and store it to its drawer. Legendary I tell you. Story never gets old. Four, he's smart. He self thought himself to read at the age of 3 by watching Sesame Street and his flippin thru his favorite book at the time, the Yellow Pages. Yes, the phone book Yellow Pages. Let the Fingers do the walking. 

Fall Time, Circa 1989?
Bro & I, as we grew up together (and we still live under the same roof for the past 25 years), like your typical siblings, had our ups and downs. We get along, we don't get along. Pinching and slapping were common back in the growing ages. As we grew older, we still get along and maintain a pretty decent siblingship. 

this was prolly my 8th bday. Not sure. 
probably circa 1992
circa 1994

Honestly, we're not like those bro&sis that can just bond and talk for hours with each other, we're more like the independent siblings. We don't talk that much, and we bond more over music and food. We hardly hang out with each other because we're both busy (me with work and him part time working and finishing his masters). We probably only see each other everyday for a split seconds, just saying Hey. Yup. No bonding. No hugging. Just simple Hey. 

Odd? Maybe... But that's how we both are. We're close but not that close. We grew up in a family that rarely says I Love Yous and not big on the touchy-feely department, so it's normal for us to just to say hey and go to our own separate ways.

Despite our weird cold brought up, for sure we both got each others back no matter what. I remember when I broke up with the Jerk Boyfriend, I was bawling in distress, Bro came up to me and just was there, giving me a hug. Sometimes I'll buy some random new food and give the whole thing to him so we can both critique about it. 

Or once in a while we would pull pranks on each other. He'll do a snoopin from the corner of my room with the door slightly open until I realized that someone's staring at me. Or come in to my room quickly and farts -__-

bali, circa 1995?
Despite our lack of sibling affection, I knew deep down we love each other. We just don't really show it. We show it in a different way. Hard to explain, but it's there. I really want to do more Sibling Bonding time but it's difficult with me working full time and him being in school. Plus we both have our own lives and loved ones that we accommodate more than between the two of us.

Austin's Elementary Graduation, circa 98-99
my 25th bday
Taking him to Disneyland for his first time in 15 years
Yes, sometimes I envy those people who are close with their sisters or brothers (like my mother), yet I can't complain. I love my brother in a weird quirky way and I know he does love me too in a weird quirky way. We're a weird and quirky brother & sister.

Things we both love: Music, Manchester United, Target, Ross, Goodwill, LA Lakers, Friends and Food. 


There's no other love like the love for a brother.  There's no other love like the love from a brother.  ~Terri Guillemets
Bro if you read this, you're awesome. I know we rarely talk despite our rooms are next door and we share the same connecting bathroom, but deep down we're both here for each other. I really hope one day you will start your own food truck because i want to contribute by being your #1 customer and eat all of the food. I hope you'll find that right woman. And for sure we need to do more Sibling Bonding Time. We're not getting younger and time is flying fast. I love you Man.


6 comments:

  1. Awe....so sweet! Seriously though, what else is there to bond over but music and food?! And a fart and run is always a sign of immense love (at least that's what Tim thinks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think music and food is like the best thing to bond over. we used to go to Warped Tour together and eat in n out after. haha... and the fart and run will never get old. ever.

      Delete
  2. I think I remember National Siblings day has passed, so I was weirded out with all the twitter hashtags. LOL. Aww, this is a cute post. You and Otin. I totally know what you mean by being 'cold' with brothers. I used to be like that, but because my bro and I are apart now, whenever we see each other, we get more lovey dovey and he's kinda like a big brother now to me even though he's younger. Otin is a musical genius though, in all seriousness. Hi Rima! =) I'm being random.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. And I TOLD my sister it was too soon for National Sibling Day, ha. I'm going to rub that in her face. Anyways, a very sweet post to your bro!

    ReplyDelete