Sunday, January 27, 2013

Food Time: Chouquette

So I set my DVR for The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo, and there was an episode on her making these scrumptious pastry puffs.

Sweeten: Chouquettes
Savory: Gougères



After watching that, I thought, "Oh haaay it's so easaaay"... So I literally did a last minute baking sesh. This fun puffs are so easy to make, they are also so easy to eat. It's DANGEROUS. You just want to pop those in your mouth. It's great to eat them with a cup of tea.

Gougères & Chouquettes
Chouquette: with powdered sugar and chocolate chip/white chocolate chip

Gougère: shredded cheese

You really don't need to have a mixer for this. Your mixer will be a wooden spoon and your Right (or Left) Bicep. Seriously. 

Chouquettes
makes: 30 - 40 puffs

What you need: 
(what's in parenthesis is my "guess"- timation for the US metric system; I rounded them up because it gave me some odd numbers)
  • 170 ml of Water (3/4 cup)
  • 170 ml of Milk (3/4 cup)
  • 1 tsp Salt (add 1/2 tsp more)
  • 1 tsp Sugar (add 1/2 tsp more)
  • 100 grams of Butter (8 tbsp)
  • 170 grams of Flour (3/4 cup)
  • 2 eggs (add 1 more egg)
  • Icing Sugar for Dusting
  • Pearl Sugar/Chocolate Chip for Decor
    • Stove and Saucepan 
    • Wooden Spoon
    • Pastry Bag
    • Large Mix Bowl
    • Your strongest Bicep or Your Husband's
For directions, literally watch Rachel's video. She does it so well. 

Preheat your oven @ 200 C/400 F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
If you don't have a piping bag, you can use 2 spoons to spoon the batter.
Bake for 25 minutes until evenly browned and rised. 

As for Gougère, omit the Icing & Pearl Sugar, replace with Shredded Cheese.

It's up to you on how big your want your puffs to be. Mine turned out pretty big because of my Piping tip. 

But who cares. It's just plain yummy.

Go and bake now.

moonbeams,
Rima

1 comment:

  1. After I figure out the conversions I plan to make these this week. I wish I had some to pop into my mouth right now!!!

    ReplyDelete