Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's Kinda of a Rescue Story...

If you know me, I'm a huge dog lover. Ever since I was a little girl, back in Indonesia, I've always wanted a dog, but I can't. My mom was too scared, even to the little Chihuahuas. And on top of that, being a Moslem country, dogs are considered "dirty" animals, so you can believe how poor is the animal rights over there (that was yeaaaarrsss ago... I don't know about now).

Anyways, I've been a huge fan of Hope For Paws ever since I watch several of their rescue videos. Thank God for Eldad Hagar. In a way, I used his method to bribe the dogs.

So I was just exiting my parking lot at work and was waiting on the traffic light... and I saw these 2 dogs, drinking from the puddle of water in front of my car (to the side of it, to be precise), super thirsty and started running away because the car next to me had to turn right. I started going, "OMGOMGOMG don't GO THERE!" and hoped they moved to the pavement. Thank God they did. So I pulled over and tried to call them. Of course they started to go crazy and ran away. I was so sad. Then I parked my car and thankfully they kinda followed my car.

Eldad has his own method to get the attention of dogs. He bribes them with Cheeseburger and once he gains their trust, then he puts them on his leash and carries them in to safety.

I tried to recreate his method... But 1) I don't have any cheeseburger; 2) I don't have a leash :(

All I had was a pack of Filipino Skyflakes Saltine Crackers. Yes, Crackers.

But it worked. Took me 30 minutes to convinced the younger dog since she had trust issues (her tail was tucked in). The older one, the male, was easier as he was super interested with the crackers. As soon as he was super close, I grabbed him, cuddled and put him inside my car. It was so hard to get the girl in the car. I had to block the boy so he won't get out while trying to convinced the girl to get in. She was terrified with the car but I kept on doing positive reinforcement and she finally hopped in. I said a little prayer.

This is the boy
Immediate cuddle time in my warm car
Right when I got home, I fed them 3 CANS of dog food. All gone within minutes. They gulped down water like never before. I got layers of blankets and old carpets and lay them on my garage floor and the boy started to roll around and wanted his belly to be rubbed. I got some old toys of Chimmy's and played catch with them.

Unfortunately, I can not keep them. I live in a small condo, with carpets, and a dog name Chimichanga who thinks this place is his shrine. I wanted to introduce him to them, and I even had him on a leash. But the 2 dogs started to run and hide and growl and Chimmy, being the i-am-super-brave-but-i-am-actually-a-chicken, got scared and ran for safety. Fail. Plus, I don't like keeping dogs outside. Esp during cold season. Even leaving them in the garage (which gets cold in the morning) breaks my heart. I would keep them in my room, but I haven't bathe them nor know their history. 

Fortunately, I just found a No-Kill Shelter in Ontario called West End Shelter. They don't believe in Euthanize for Population and they don't turn away any pets. Matter of fact, when I drop these two precious, I want to fill out their Volunteer Application. I think I've found my shelter! YAY! Another 12 Things crossing off my list. 


I pray these two lovlies will find their forever home. They don't bark, super chill, very friendly (once they trust you), loves to jump on you and give MAJOR kisses.

I hope the shelter will give me updates on these two dogs.

I'll keep all of you posted. 

Two doggy kisses,
Rima

4 comments:

  1. You are an amazing person!!! I'm a huge dog lover as well and what you did for them is such a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I saw your pic on Instagram but this story girl... You're a hero for the day! I hope they find a home too! It's so serendipitous that you found a shelter to volunteer with in the process! Go get that application. Your year is off to a great start :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is breaking because I want them so bad! But seeing as to how my house is becoming somewhat of animal rescue already, I can't. :( You are so brave to have stopped and gotten them. Also I have to tell you how much I love that you had Skyflakes on you. Haha I hope the pups find a good home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww YAY for rescuing dogs! I hope they find their forever home soon :)

    ReplyDelete