Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Food Time: Chocolate Carrot Beet Pulp Bread (and Playing Nurse)



And I know you guys are thinking... JUICE PULP? You're not the only one. Mother thought the same thing... like, "Rima... Seriously?"


As you may know, I've been juicing lately... For the past 2 months, even though it's off and on. I love the way the juices (esp the Green Juice) make me feel. I feel rejuvenated and there's that boost of energy. What sucks is that I waste all the pulps, you know, where all the fibers are.

A couple of days ago, I took care of a Cancer patient. She had stage 4 Colon Cancer. What amazed me was her energy. She had this ball of vibrant energy that you rarely see in a stage 4 cancer patient. She had a percutaneous nephrostomy tube that we had to exchange because of the low output (it's a tube that is placed in the kidneys to drain urine because of obstructions that blocks the urine to your bladder). Her energy was contagious. As we were finishing up her procedure, my doctor gave her some good news... the output to her tube is low because her tumor is shrinking, thanks to her treatment. The look on her face was awe-ing. She was full smile and was so thankful to us and to God. 

Then I dropped her off to her room and we chit-chatted on the way. She said she juices. I told her the same. Homegirl said she juices and bakes the pulp because she doesn't like to see food go to waste. I've heard about this before but never attempted to do so. 

When I got home, I did some research and came up with this recipe. I made it this past Saturday with the thought of that patient I took care off. I drank the juice (it was Beet, Carrot, Apple and Cucumber) and saved the pulp to make this bread. 

Ms. Super Energy, this one is for you. Girl, the bread turned out super moist and yummy. Awesome for breakfast.

You don't need a mixer for this. Just a whisk, a spatula and some muscles. 


Chocolate Carrot Beet Pulp Bread
makes 1 bread. Yum.

What you need:
  • 1/4 cup of Cocoa Powder
  • 1 3/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp powdered Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1 3/4 cups packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Apple Sauce
  • 1 Ripe Banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 cup of Juice Pulp
  • 1 cup of toasted nuts (I love Almonds) - optional
Heat Yo Oven @ 350F. Spray a 9x5x3 loaf pan with Baking Pam or do the old fashion way by greasing it with butter/margarine and dust with flour. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined, set aside. If your nuts are raw, toast them in the oven for 10 minutes and let it cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar and oil. Add apple sauce and mashed banana and mix to combine. Then mix in the Juice Pulp until combined evenly.

Fold in the dry ingredients in to the wet one, do not overmix. Fold in 1/2 cup of the nuts (if using)

Pour in batter in to loaf pan and sprinkle the top with the rest of the 1/2 cup of nuts, if using.

Bake for at least 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Meanwhile take pictures of your dog posing, waiting to play with you.


Once out, let the bread cool in the pan on top of a cooling rack for 10 - 15 minutes. Reverse to let the bread out, cut and enjoy.


Definitely the texture is dense, let's say comparing with Banana Bread. The cool thing is that you can't taste the beet, carrots nor cucumber. They make the bread moist. Mm, gosh I love moist breads. 


Thanks to Ms. Super Energy for inspiring me to make this bread.

If you decide to give it a try, let me know. I'm curious how this bread would go if the pulps had like kale or spinach. Gah. Sounds gory though.


3 comments:

  1. it looks delish!
    i love your doodles!!!
    i barely can draw anything. wait, i can't draw anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I need to get a juicer so I can start making juice so I can be like you.

    Second, this sounds delicious. I've actually heard quite a few people who use the pulp for different things. I wonder if you could use it in face masks or body scrubs and things of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting idea, I've never even heard of baking pulp! But seriously you are making me want to juice hardcore man, I don't even like drinking anything but water but you make it sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete