Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Food Time: Kahlua Coffee Cupcake with Kahlua Infused Buttercream with Espresso

Alright! I've been promising and promising and promising for new food post and HERE IT IS! *fist in the air* Excuse me while I indulge myself with bread filled with Cookie Butter, Nutella and these fine bits.

Seriously, who doesn't LOVE Trader Joe's? That grinder full of awesomeness is soooo good on top of your cream cheese & toasted bagels. I can have breakfast anytime now. 

Well, tonight I'll be sharing you one of my favorite cupcakes (and a fav for my alcoholic friends... JK), The Kahlua Cupcake!!!


As I whip open my handy dandy recipe book, I realized I need to organize it better. It's so messy, full of flour and powdered sugar, it smells sweet.

got this at borders. oh how i miss that bookstore.

Let's get started! Get your bottle of Kahlua and party on.

Kahlua Coffee Cupcake with Kahlua Infused Buttercream with Espresso
adapted from multiple sources. I combined and recreate it to my own version. Woopah.

Thou shall need:

Cupcakes
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted and cool
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, at room temp
  • 1 3/4 + 3 tbsp cake flour
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I'm a fan of Van Houten)
  • 1 whoopin' tbsp of Espresso powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Hot Coffee (start with 1/4 cup first)
Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. And line your cupcake pans with fun and pretty liners. This makes about 24 cupcakes.

In mixer bowl, with the paddle attachment, mix together butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs until completely combined for about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder & salt in a large bowl.

Alternating flour and buttermilk, add the flours in thirds, beginning and ending with flour, mix in medium - low speed. Scrape the sides and only mix until combined. 

Fold in 1/4 cup of the hot coffee and mix until combined.

Fill in the liners 3/4 full and bake for 18 minutes.

Let them cool in the pans for 5 minutes then transfer those lovelies to a wire rack for about another 5 - 10 minutes.

While still warm, poke holes onto the cupcakes with a toothpick and using a brush, smother those babies with Kahlua, 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 times. Haha. A friend of mine actually told me I should just soaked them in Kahlua. Then let them cool completely and they should be ready to get frosted.



Frosting
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temp
  • 3 - 5 cups of powdered sugar, sifted (I usually end up using 4 cups)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 tsp Kahlua (in my case, I substituted the Vanilla with an extra teaspoon of Kahlua. Yay)
  • 1 tsp Hot Coffee (or, if you really love Kahlua, opt this out and add another teaspoon of Kahlua)
  • 1 tbsp of instant coffee granules/espresso powder
In a mixer bowl, whip the butter until light and fluffy. One cup at a time, add the powdered sugar. Scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition & mixing until combined. Between the addition of sugar, alternate between adding the Kahlua, coffee and Vanilla (or the full 3 tsp Kahlua haha). Then mix in the coffee granules/espresso powder and whip for about another 2 - 3 minutes. If you notice your frosting is pretty thin, you may add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at a time until you find the consistency you like. 

You may chill the frosting in the fridge until you're ready to use. Whip for a minute or two, and frost away. 

I usually garnish it with chocolate covered espresso beans, BUT that Trader Joe's Grinder above would be perfect as well.

Let's me know if any of you decided to make this. I would love some feedback :)


moonbeams & bunny kisses,





5 comments:

  1. YUM. I definitely want to make this! And I want those trader joes bits so bad! Thinkin about going today!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover on that recipe book is too cute
    The cupcakes look delicious...but Tim (the husband) and I don't drink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I always admire people who don't drink. You still can make these virgin. Maybe sub the kahlua with just espresso. Woo.

      Delete
  3. Yum! My daddy is Kahluas biggest fan hehe. Thanks for the recipe to his heart :)

    ReplyDelete