Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Public Announcement and We Need Your Help.



So some of you may have known, I did a mission trip back in March with the group Global Medical Brigades with the students from University of California San Diego. The current president for this year, Brittanie, emailed me today saying thanks for supporting and serving with them this year for the community in Honduras. 


Anyways, they're in need for Nurses and especially Physicians who can come and volunteer their time for 1 week to serve the needy people in Honduras. Next year during Spring Break for USCD, they will fly and provide medical needs for Honduras. Rumor has it, it may switch to Nicaragua. Either or, they'll be serving the people in need. 


Here I attach the email she sent to me,


Hi you guys! Hope you're both having the most amazing summer!

First, thank you both for all of your hard work being nurses on the brigade and your continued commitment to the org even after it was all over. I'm taking over as president for this coming year and am looking for medical professionals to come along with us. Right now, I have a few nurses who have shown interest (because nurses are awesome), but we are in dire need of physicians. Below is sort of a summary email that I've been sending out to people who have mentioned wanting to come with for next year. You can pick and choose which parts of it you may want to include but it'd be really great if you could spread the word and help us out! Say, cost of the trip might not be necessary to mention until later haha. 

Sending my love your way,
Britt

Basically, we are the UCSD chapter of Global Medical Brigades which is under the 
umbrella organization Global Brigades. It is a 501(c)3 non-profit and 
works in under served, rural communities outside of Honduras' capital 
city, Tegucigalpa. The program has been well established in the 
communities that we work in with people in that community expecting to 
see a student-led clinic every 4-6 months. 

It is a 1 week trip to Honduras, from March 24th to March 31st, 2013 
(UCSD's spring break).  There are a few days dedicated to travel time, 
in-country prep, and local cultural activities such as working alongside 

community members in one of Global Brigades other projects like latrine 
building or construction work on sites of future community centers. 
There are 3 days working in a very rural area providing medical and 
dental care (dentists provided) to the local families, alongside 2 
Honduran physicians. 

Normally, nurses are in charge of triage and help with taking patients' 
symptoms and vitals like blood pressure, blood glucose, weight, etc. 
Responsibilities also include organizing students, making sure they are 
doing the vitals correctly, and helping with any patients who may be be 
very ill, have trouble breathing, or scared.
Physicians handle consultations and may refer patients needing further assistance to hospitals in the city. 
Most patients generally 
suffer from heart disease, migraines, asthma, and muscle pains due to 
poor nutrition, unsanitary conditions, and hard labor for the men 
working in the fields. 

The trip typically costs around $1500-$1600 depending on the price of 
flight tickets. This price includes absolutely everything on your trip 
except for souvenirs and snacks you may want to purchase from local 
vendors. Half of the money pays for the flight there which is typically 
close to $750. We recommend that you book with us, so as to get a good 
group rate, and it's easier to organize travel, but its not necessary. 
The rest of the money is dedicated to food (3 meals a day, plus snacks), 

transportation (pick up/drop off at airport, travel to clinic and 
cultural sites), security (we have 2 police officers with us at all 
times, and an addition 2-3 military personnel on brigade days and to 
guard the compound where we stay), and dorming.   

No foreign language is necessary. The patients speak only Spanish, but 
nurses from the last 2 years have had little to no background in the 
language. Most of the undergraduate students have studied Spanish in 
school, and some of the undergraduate students and in-country organizers 

are bilingual and can help you at any time, but using hand and body 
motions to communicate has been essential. I've also noticed that you 
really only need to remember a few key phrases and the rest you can ask.

We serve close to 1,000 patients over those 3 days so you can expect to 
work hard, but its truly humbling to see what sort of conditions they 
must face and the impact that we make. 

We are currently in the process of creating a new website but you can 
see some pictures and general info here: http://sddo47.wix.com/ucsdgmb  
And you can find more information at the global brigades national 


Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns whatsoever :)

Best,
Brittanie
You can read my post about my mission trip here and here.

If you have any friends or family or colleagues who are Nurses or Physicians Assistance or Physicians (Residents included) interested in doing a Medical Missionary, they can contact me through my blog or email me at bolubyrima@gmail.com. I'm thinking most likely I will do this again (if time and money permits), especially with this group of students. They were awesome and eager to learn. Most of them are Pre-Med students. 1 student was even an Italian Major (Hi, Mauricio!) Honestly, it was one of the best things I ever done in my life. Not only for the people of Honduras, but also for myself. It gave me this nice happiness that I've never had. Like I made a difference in someone's life.

Please please please do share and spread the word.

PS: This Medical Missionary is non-denominational. It's purely Medical. And learning. And just being a great human being.

xo,
Rima

10 comments:

  1. oh, i wish i could volunteer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you can do one in Indo. If there's any medical missionary in Indo, let me know. Kangen juga man, udah 10 tahun gak pulang, jo! haha

      Delete
  2. I wish I could do this, it seems like such a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyx, it was really fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just need to raise money haha... Trying to get some Dr's to go!!

      Delete
  3. Hello! Great blog! The last post is very interesting and beautiful! Let's follow each other, if you agree, then let me know!)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!! thanks for stopping by :) you are gorgeous! love your style.
      *new follower*

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful opportunity! I'll be passing this on!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great cause! Thanks for promoting this on your blog. i think blogging should be more of this and less outfit posts. This is the stuff that matters. Just found your blog and I have loved getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. This is something I'm passionate about and I am so glad to achieve it as part of my bucket list :) I believe being a nurse is a calling for me to do such things. I really want to go next year and do this again. I also fought my fear on bugs (still scared of them though) haha... there are a lot of them there!

      Thanks for following :) *i'm following you too hehe*

      rima

      Delete