Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Craft Time: DIY Sea Salt Hair Mist

So it's Summer Time. Summer means Beach means Ocean means Sexy Wavy Hair. I live in SoCal where beaches are just a drive away, but being the awesome busy me, I haven't gone to the beach at all this summer! (and my boyfriend lives in Newport Beach) Blasphemy! But anyways, I love my hair after the beach aka Mermaid Hair.

via
So I browsed around for some Sea Salt Hair Mist. I've been eyeballing the Bumble & Bumble one and my cousin recommended Josie Maran's version of her mist, but damn they're $$$.

Then I browsed around for DIY ones. Cool thing is it cost probably less than $5. Haha. And if you buy the items in full quantity, you save a load of dolla dolla billz. Who doesn't like saving?

These are the things you need, my friend.


DIY Sea Salt Hair Mist.
adapted from Free People. Yes, the awesome clothing line.
  1. Hair Gel. Any hair gel would do. You just need a dollop of this.
  2. Natural Oil. I love this Jojoba Oil I got from Trader Joe's. It's 100% natural and it's 100% well, Jojoba Oil. The fragrant's pretty mild. I use this oil for my face and cuticles. 
  3. Fine Ground Sea Salt. It must be Sea Salt. You can't use your regular table salt. 
  4. Plain ol' H2O, lukewarm. Some people use Rose Water, which I've yet to find. They said they go to a Middle Eastern Market. I need to find one!
  5. A Spray Bottle (pictured later. It's Teal. Yay)
  6. optional: you can add any essence you love. I've read people put lavender, rose, citrus, coconut... Whatever floats your boat :)

hey, there's a mermaid on the salt bottle!
So as for measurement:
  • For 8 oz of Water = 1 tsp of Fine Ground Sea Salt + 1/2 tsp of Natural Oil + a dollop of Gel.


Mix all ingredients in to the Spray Bottle and shake until well mixed. Make sure you shake your bottle before spraying any time you want to use the mist. Spray away and crunch (optional)



Sea Salt dries your hair like nobody's business. Hence the oil in the ingredients to moisture your hair. I wouldn't recommend using it everyday to prevent dryness to your awesome hair. You can use this mist on damp or dry hair.

Fortunately, my hair is naturally wavy. I just need to spray some to my hair just to enhance that beach hair of mine. But I do need trim, badly.

Make sure you condition your hair regularly :)

Well I hope this would cure your (or mine?) beach blues.



5 comments:

  1. gosh! my hair is so dry and at the beach, it will blown like a lion's mane!

    i like my hair when it's messy, but not maned! i think i should try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha... let me know how it works, esp for indo weather.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for posting :) I've actually been looking at the bumble and bumble spray but I'd rather not spend so much and making it myself would be even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I love this because seriously you safe LOTS of $$$ :)

      Delete
  3. Gah I love the idea of this but my hair is pin straight and I don't think a spray will help with that :( I have to spend some quality time with my curling wand to get natural looking beach waves. But I love the idea of this DIY! :) Wish you had included a pic of your beachy waves!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete