Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Food Time: Kimchi Fried Rice

Introducing... *drum roll*


It turned out uber yummy. My only regret: SOFT RICE. I cooked it too soft last night hence the texture was, er, soft. But other than that, it was yummy. My mother helped me with the last touch since I'm not good at making huge batches (she gets to add the sugar/spice/everything nice), and all 4 bellies at home are full of KIMCHI.

Prep time was super quick. Ready to feed the belly? Let's go!
Kimchi Fried Rice aka Kimchi Bokkeumbap
serves 2. Adapted from RasaMalaysia.com, this one Korean Cookbook I saw at Barnes & Nobles & consulted with Dr. Sohn, my Korean Doctor at work.


Key Ingredients: 
  • 1 - 1.5 cup(s) of Kimchi, chopped into small pieces. The amount depends on your taste
  • optional: 2 - 3 tablespoon of the Kimchi Juice
  • 2 - 3 stalks of Scallions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoon of butter
  • optional: Chili Paste. I would use about 1-2 tablespoon. We like it spicy!
  • 1 tablespoon of Vegetable oil (not pictured)
  • 1 tablespoon of Asian Sesame Oil
  • 3 cloves of Garlic (I'm a huge garlic girl), minced
  • 1/2 of an Onion, chopped
  • 3 - 4 cups of Rice, preferred day old and chilled. Make sure it's not too soft (like mine was. boo)
  • Salt, Pepper and Sugar for taste (my mother swears by adding a little bit of Sugar on Savory food. She said it enhances the taste. That's what she said. Mother knows best)
  • Super Optional but Yum: Fried Egg(s). Fried an egg sunny side up, and serve it on top of your bowl of fried rice when ready. oh yeah.
So heat up your Wok/Pan on high, and coat it with the Vegetable oil. Add garlic and onion, saute them until fragrant. I usually place my face on top of the pan, and inhale, deeply. Cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.

Lower your heat to medium, add the butter and let it melt. Add Sesame Oil and Chili Paste (if using), stir for like 15 seconds and add the chopped Kimchi and Kimchi Juice (if using). Do some fun stirs to make sure they're blended, and add the rice. Stir and mix well. Add Salt, Pepper and Sugar, taste to your own liking. Stir for another minute or so, and add chopped Scallions, and mix well.

Grab your favorite bowl and top it with a fried egg, if you want.

YUM

While I was at the market yesterday (awesome 99 Ranch Market), I also bought some pre-marinated Korean BBQ Short Ribs. I just whopped out my griddle, and grilled them ribs and paired them with my bowl of rice.

Partay in the belly.

What's missing is a cold bottle of Hite. Damn. 



Thanks for Alex from Louise Amabilis for sending me this picture.


haha it cracked me up.

if you decide to make these, let me know how it turns out. This was my first time making it, and I can say it was a success. Just next time, NO SOFT RICE. Grrrr...

ps: it should taste as awesome with brown rice.
pss: some recipes out there stir fried some beef/pork/chicken/canned tuna/tofu with the onions and garlic before everything else to add some proteins with the rice. Since I was having ribs, I opted it out. But feel free to do so.


6 comments:

  1. I can't really do Kimchi. When I was in Korea I felt like it was my duty to eat it (and lots of) but I would secretly pass it to my boyfriend when the family / friends weren't looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha my boyfriend too dislikes kimchi. funny thing he can tolerate it in the fried rice. but we both LOVE the cucumber one. YUM.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. awesome. kimchi kimchi kimchi.
      it's so good.
      kimchi with a bowl of hot white rice.
      yum.

      Delete
  3. I've never had kimchi before! I feel like I'm missing out because your photos look bomb!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GURLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. srsly, go to the nearest Korean BBQ and EAT!

      Delete